Tuesday, June 29, 2010

lost heart

I have sent out a search party
for this heart lost once living within
rib cage protection
last seen in a parking lot
4am
years ago
stolen away through my breath
all evidence washed clean
or perhaps sunken into the black tar asphalt
I have sent out a scavenger hunt
for this heart lost once living amongst
happier times
last seen on a plane travelling somewhere
to the east coast
stolen away through clammy hands
leaving skin cells on the knee of my jeans
everything is raw within me
kept captive
within the back of a messy car
lost somewhere in the trunk
amongst piles of things
lost treasures
books, a forgotten sweatshirt
it could be there
under something
I have sent out an APB
for this heart once living within
the daylight open to the sunshine
now nowhere to be found
arrested somewhere
silenced
checking hospitals, and mortuaries
perhaps it is dead on the side of the road
somewhere along
the central coast of California
or maybe just lost
in an unknown place
boiling under the san fernando valley sun
hitchhiking its way back to me
pick up truck riding
broken down and out and dirty
trying to get home

No comments: